Planned Electric Outage October 7th
October 04, 2021
Baldwin City Electric Department is planning a scheduled disconnect from Evergy lines for Thursday Oct 7th in the early morning hours.
Baldwin City Electric Department is planning a scheduled disconnect from Evergy lines for Thursday Oct 7th in the early morning hours. With the addition of upgraded relay and metering devices at the Newton Substation, testing is required to ensure the new devices are configured correctly.
The point of the scheduled disconnect is to make sure that we can sync back seamlessly from in-house generation at the powerplant in Baldwin to the Evergy tie.
Representatives from the company that provides equipment support for the city will be onsite for the sync back.
The plan is:
- Fire up the powerplant at approximately 4:30 am
- Ramp up both units at powerplant 2 to cover the full city load
- Open the main breaker to isolate the city from Evergy
- Carry the whole city load for a short period of time
- At approximately 6:00 am attempt to sync back to the utility and close the main breaker back in.
If the equipment works correctly, residents will not notice any blinks or outages at that time.
If we experience any problems with the sync back however, we would be forced to initiate a short outage city wide to restore power. An outage would be expected to last less than 10 minutes. We have attempted to schedule this test at a time to be the least inconvenient if an outage becomes necessary.
Return to list.